The Writing Life Cut Short by Amy Boucher Pye

Life is short. Write well.
I was chuffed and thrilled last summer when I received an invitation to write some sample articles for what must be the biggest devotional out there, Our Daily Bread (ODB). Writing Bible-based thoughts is one of my favorite things, and I had long hoped I’d have a chance to write for this worldwide publication. It took a few months of critique and drafting new samples, but finally I announced my wonder at this new gig on social media.
Julie Ackerman Link
I knew two of their writers, Julie Ackerman Link and Marion Stroud, and had heard good things about the ODB experience from them. Julie I had met at US retreats of the Academy of Christian Editors, and Marion I met the first time years previously when I was an editor with Zondervan. Both were talented writers who crafted the devotions well. Even as I’ve been writing this blog post, I went to the ODB website to read the day’s offering I could tell right away was one of Julie’s. She used compelling examples to grab the reader’s attention, moving next into digging into the Bible, and ending with a short application. The classic devotional approach, bursting with life when done well. (As with Marion’s, which can be found here.)
Marion Stroud
Marion was a committed member of ACW, among other organizations, and a writer who mentored and encouraged many writers. She kindly let me grill her when I started writing the ODB devotionals, giving me tips and pointers and reassuring me over the process.
I’m stunned because I’m now writing about both women in the past tense. Both have died from cancer – both young in my estimation; both loved by families and friends and esteemed by colleagues. My heart hurts for those who grieve.
We don’t know what a day or a year will hold; we talk about seizing the day, but when the day doesn’t come, we react with shock. A reminder to us all to live present to others, in the Presence.
Life can be short. Write well.

Amy Boucher Pye is a writer, speaker, editor – and wife, mother, daughter, and friend. Her first book releases in October 2015, Finding Myself in Britain. She writes Bible reading notes for several publications, including Day by Day with God and Living Light. She blogs at amyboucherpye.com and Tweets at @AmyBoucherPye.

Comments

  1. Love that line, Amy: "Life can be short. Write well." Inspiring. These women were inspiring as well. I never met Julie in person but had that same experience of being touched by her signature heartfelt devotions and connected with her on FB because of them. I had the opportunity to meet Marion and spent the day with her in Oxford in 2014. So glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marion and Oxford - a wonderful combination! So glad you had the chance to be with her.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for writing this and reminding us to "redeem the time". Julie was my college roommate and we all miss her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kathy you must think of her daily. I didn't know her well at all but what I glimpsed was that she was special.

      Delete
  3. "Life is short. Write well."
    So true Amy. I didn't know Julie, but I was blessed to know Marion. She's very sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment