ACW

ACW

Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Memories of a (Washing) Machine, by Lucy Mills


We've just replaced our washing machine.  The former one had a pretty good run; but more and more things were going wrong.

On Monday, the delivery men brought the new machine (left) and took away the old.

As they did so, I was reminded of the former washing machine's moment of fame (and trying not to look at the footprints on the hall carpet which would need treating later).

It was featured in my first 'proper' published article - in Woman Alive (my first acceptance was from Christianity, but that was published later). It was an article reflecting on the dangers of the 'Worry Machine' in our lives, and I decided to send a photograph to go with it, in case it was useful.  Cue kneeling on the kitchen floor of our former home, getting a good angle.

(It would be difficult to do this in our current kitchen - the washing machine is too tucked away - unless I crouched behind the downstairs loo opposite - yuk. The one above is taken in the doorway leading to said toilet.)

So as the washing machine in question was carried from the property and the new one brought in (yikes, what do they have on their shoes?!), this was the memory that was triggered.

Objects can carry strong associations for us. There are little mementoes I keep in my office for this very reason.

You may have objects that remind you of your writing life. There may also be those that inspire you to write.  For me it was that washing machine, going round and round, reminding me of the cycles of worry to which we subject ourselves.

You never know what might inspire you - or what might make you smile, one day down the line, at the memory of it.
***
 

Lucy Mills

Lucy's first book, Forgetful Heart: remembering God in a distracted world, was published in 2014 by Darton, Longman and Todd (DLT). She's written articles, poetry and prayers for various publications and is an editor at magnet magazine. www.lucy-mills.com

Lucy on Twitter: @lucymills
Lucy's Facebook page




Previous More than Writer posts:



28 comments:

  1. Now you've got me thinking Lucy. The only thing I can think of at the moment are the beautiful pens my cousin hand made for me. They will long be held dear in my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fascinating post. I have never thought of objects remind me of things I have written. But the painting which is on the cover of my first book always serves as a reminder of what God brought me through when I had my crisis of faith. I have a copy of the painting up in my lounge and everytime I look at it it reminds me. And worry is definitely like a washing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fascinating post. I have never thought of objects remind me of things I have written. But the painting which is on the cover of my first book always serves as a reminder of what God brought me through when I had my crisis of faith. I have a copy of the painting up in my lounge and everytime I look at it it reminds me. And worry is definitely like a washing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veronica Bright27 January 2016 at 15:29

    Thank you for that. I have a little soft-toy frog on my desk - my first published book was called Frogs in Assembly - and when I start doubting that I'll ever do this or that, he always gives me an encouraging, yet inaudible, croak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's also quite interesting to 'interview' an inanimate object, such as a washing machine .. a door in your house ... a pair of old socks ... to see what its life is like and how it feels. Then you write up the answers in the object's 'voice'. We did this exercise in our local ACW meeting once and it was very illuminating! I use it at school, alongside teaching Sylvia Plath's 'Mirror' which is told in the mirror's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. احصل الان على اقوى الخصومات عند تواصلك مع مركز صيانة يونيفرسال للاجهزة الكهربائية وتعرف على احدث التقنيات الفنية المستخدمة فى صيانة كافة انواع الاجهزة اتصل الان برقم مركز خدمة يونيفرسال او من خلال زيارة موقعنا الالكترونى


    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article. I like the way you explain the things. Keep posting regarding Online Washing Machines Prices.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good blog. Blogs like these are very helpful for us because we are into washing machine service and it is always good to read and upgrade ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your valuable info and do write more about other home appliances also. Washing machine service is very different from other home appliance products. I have learned a lot by practical experience and also through internet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post with many important points. I do washing machine service for customers and post like these are very helpful. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete