The Storms of Life by Wendy H. Jones


As I write this post I am sitting listening to the wind and rain. It is battering off the windows and it sounds like I am writing inside a drum. We have started to name storms in the UK and to be honest I have lost track as to what this one is called. I think it may be Henry. BBC weather informs me that in my area gusts are reaching 70-80 mph. I am truly thankful that I have a warm house and I am not out in this. I am praying that anyone who is homeless has been given shelter and food. Although I am in Scotland I am sure most people reading this will have had a similar tale of adverse weather recently.

Storms can often batter our writing life as well. Not physical storms as I am describing above, but those which threaten to disrupt our carefully planned, and set aside, writing time. Every time I sit down to write recently something urgent has come along to disrupt it. I'm not talking about distraction therapy here. I'm talking about things which take hours and suck all the energy out of me. Who can identify with that? Sometimes as writers we can feel like a hamster on a wheel, chasing round and round, giving it all we've got. Yet our manuscripts are going nowhere. Sometimes, I, and I am sure you, just need to take a step back. Then take a deep breath and relax. We also need to put some time aside and pamper ourselves. Then, get back to the writing. Forget about the fact that it is not going well just write as though it is the only thing in the world. Writing storms can often be worse than physical storms as we often cannot see and end to them. Don't let them drag you under. 

In our Christian life too, storms will come. We will be battered by doubts and insecurities. By the fact there never seems to be time to read the bible. Sometimes it feels like we are clinging on by our fingertips. Again it can be difficult to see an end to these times. To look forward to a day when our Christian walk will be easier.

As Christians we can be secure in the knowledge that no matter how great the storm, God is with us. He is more powerful than the worst storm we can imagine, and he will carry us through. As you move into the next week remember this truth. Hold it close to your heart. 









Wendy H. Jones lives in the beautiful City of Dundee, Scotland. The Detective Inspector Shona McKenzie Mysteries are set in this city. The first two books in the series, Killer's Countdown, Killer's Craft  and Killer's Cross are available through Waterstones, Amazon and her website. The third book in the series Killer's Cut will be released on 18th April, 2016



Comments

  1. Good post, Wendy. Storm Henry has been inspiring me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed to hear this today Wendy, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Wendy, for taking over my slot (sorry I've had to pull out) and for describing so well what I'm going through physically and mentally. Bless you for all you do. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was no problem Mel. I hope the post helped.

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Wendy. I know you stepped in at the last minute and it only goes to show that you produce your best work under pressure. A truly great and inspirational post!

    And, dear Lord, we truly lift up to you all those people who are homeless and out 'in this'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post and very helpful. Bless you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an inspiring and encouraging post. Thank you Wendy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Deborah. I am glad that it inspired and encouraged you

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this, Wendy - it's so easy to think that the storms separate us from God, instead of holding on to the truth that he is with us in the midst of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Fiona. We often forget that God is greater than any storm

      Delete
  8. Thankful to read this, after 'wasting' an evening hunting down a piece of WIP work, and having a wobbly over how I can't find my files however I try to organise them! A glitch from somewhere after a good work day in other areas ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it helped you Clare. I'm also glad that some of your day has been good

      Delete
  9. Well said, fellow Dundonian. I rather like the ferocity of storms. There's something exciting about watching great trees swaying frantically We have 55 trees in and around our garden so it's been fun watching them. But the damage they do is NOT fun, of course, and my heart goes out to people made homeless and flooded by them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree they are somewhat majestic and it is good to watch them from the safety of our homes. Yet at the same time we are hoping and praying that these very he's do not see any damage.

      Delete

Post a Comment