Trusting the Master Editor by Lynda Alsford

How do you feel about proof-reading /editing? On the whole I enjoy it. I prefer to edit a paper copy of my work. I find it easier to spot the typos and grammatical errors.  I have two people who helped me with the proof reading of my two self-published books. They are very good and noticed most of the mistakes in my work.

Recently I have been revising my first book, He Never Let Go: The true story of the evangelist who stopped believing in God. I am currently at the editing stage. Most of the mistakes I noticed were in the revised sections of my book. But I was surprised  by one mistake that slipped through unnoticed by at least 3 people who proof-read it the first time it was published. It has been out there with this mistake for nearly 4 years! 

Here is the offending sentence. "I felt as if my doubts had been creeping up stealthily up behind me like the children in that game." Given many people reading this post are writers or work in the publishing world there are no prizes for spotting the mistake. Now I have seen it I can't believe three of us didn't notice it when reading this through 4 years ago. We all read what we thought it should say not what it did say.

What about editing our lives? Now we are in Lent, I think it is a good time of year to do just that. God is the master editor and I can trust Him to edit my life. He knows what parts of my life need His attention. I have been asking Him to show me things holding me back, which I may not have noticed before. It can be an uncomfortable process but He does it with great compassion and love. He has said to me "I know" many times over the last few days.  He knows me  and He knows what I find hard. He knows I am human and need to make the changes gradually.

The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him. For he knows how weak we are; he remembers we are only dust.Psalm 103:13-14

It is so important to remember that God is a tender and compassionate Father. His love gives a good basis for His work in our lives. We can trust Him. He doesn't treat us harshly. He treats us with infinite mercy. Knowing this I can be brave and submit to His editing in my life this lent.


What about you? Are you brave enough to ask the master editor to do an edit  of your life this lent? 

Lynda Alsford is the administrator for ACW and is a sea loving, cat loving GP receptionist, who writes in her spare time. She has written two books. He Never Let Go describes her journey through a major crisis of faith whilst working as an evangelist at a lively Church in Chiswick, West London. Being Known describes how God set her free from food addiction. Both books are available in paperback and on kindle on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com. She writes a newsletter, Seeking the Healer, in which she shares the spiritual insights she has gained on her journey. Sign up for this at her website,www.lyndaalsford.com. Lynda blogs at www.patch-work-blog.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

  1. I love this post! The idea that God edits our lives, with a desire only to improve and perfect, is a lovely one for a writer :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deborah. I'm glad you liked it. Blessings

      Delete
  2. I love this post! The idea that God edits our lives, with a desire only to improve and perfect, is a lovely one for a writer :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda, verse 14 of Psalm 103 is one of my absolute favourites. Thank God he does take account of our weakness! Thanks for this thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the whole of psalm 103. It's wonderful.

      Delete
  4. It took me a couple of attempts to see the error in your sentence! It just goes to show. I'm hoping that people just as easily miss the mistakes in me that haven't yet been edited out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too, that they see me like that. Maybe that is what Scripture means when it says love covers a multitude of sins

      Delete
  5. Great post, Lynda - and challenging! As Deborah says, the comparison between editing our writing and God editing our lives is very helpful. And while I know he'll be gentle with me, allowing myself to be edited still feels a bit scary at times...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is scary Fiona but I find that the more I allow him to do it the more I trust him.

      Delete
    2. It is scary Fiona but I find that the more I allow him to do it the more I trust him.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea, Lynda. To allow God to edit (and trash?) what doesn't fit who we are as His children is a good way to live. Thankfully, as a loving Father, God is gentle and ever so patient as He guides us into the best way to be. Thank you for sharing your story as it is still being woven by the Lord. Our imperfect lives are continually being renewed/edited while we are works in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your encouragement. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your encouragement. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment