More than Writing … Away from the Desk by Clare Weiner aka Mari Howard



What do you do, away from the desk? 

Apart from ‘procrastination - with another coffee …’, there’s an enormous liberation in walking …

We live in a very rural county 

Yes, we live in big city, an overcrowded city with more child  poverty than the thousands of tourists who visit every year to cram our streets and shops and ancient buildings from Christmas to summer holidays inclusive would believe. But, this is primarily a rural county, with hundreds of acres of farmland, estates owned by private landowners, by the University, and by its various Colleges. 

A few years ago, some of us from church formed a small, unambitious walking group: pilgrimage had been featuring on the church calendar, and we decided that although we’d not do a big Pilgrimage such as Compostela or Jerusalem, or even Canterbury, we could manage an escape to our own countryside. Where we wander between two or three country churches, and end up with refreshments in a village pub. This year, the weather and ‘stuff’  has delayed plans since last December: but last weekend enough us were free, and the weather was great for walking. We did about 10 kilometres, and we all felt blessed

It's something I suspect we writers can feel guilty about

 - not getting on with the W.I.P. does have that effect. But … having set myself a deadline for novel number 3 in the ‘Mullins Family Series’, and then finding that Life, or rather God, had knowledge I didn’t in terms of the wider picture, I’ve realised that it is at present a time for Other Things. While the story is on hold, there’s time to find the me who writes the story … While attending a church where I’m not on any rotas and have no responsibilities I’ve learned and worshipped better…  Beyond ‘doing stuff’ at a small LItFest, I’ve benefitted from re-visiting all that Away from the Desk means (for me):


Baking lots of cakes/cookies





           Doing the garden



Turning up to my Book Group 
having read the book




Praying with friends, 
in a garden, 
urrounded by birdsong
Being available to properly listen to a friend in a 2-hour phone conversation (her call!)

Finding a really nurturing church, 
with imaginative worship and great teaching 




Paying real attention my painting, 
and engaging with an on-line 
artists’ FB group




                                 
                              Dog-walking with a 
                              neighbour in our nearby nature reserve
Being a creative human being created by our Creator 
and, of course the wider country walking …


Our Scriptures are full of creativity … 

- gardens appear there more than once, as does the Wilderness, the Psalms are full of descriptions nature …Jesus and his followers spent a great deal of time outside, walking … praying … interacting with others … all of this is nurturing, and in order to be creative, we have an inbuilt need to involve ourselves, deeply, in God’s creation - for we ourselves are part of it all … Consider the lilies, how they grow … Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

Mari Howard is a writer and painter: her novels Baby, Baby and The Labyrinth Year, and the ‘WIP’ Love You to the Moon, engage with a contemporary Christian/secular romance and the subsequent family, living through the present time of secularism and social change, and including an element of mystery and social commentary. 
She grew up in London, studied at Newcastle University, and lives in Oxford. Her favourite places are Scargill and West Cornwall. 
Mari is also working on some spiritual non-fiction.














Comments

  1. I've been away from the desk so to speak so long I've forgotten I am a writer. Work has been so frantically busy and exhausting I have no emotional energy left for writing.

    But it is reminding me that I need to stay close to God and allow him to be my strength. I am moving to a new department at work in the next few weeks and hopefully this will give more energy as it has a much less stressful department. Maybe then I will find my way back to the writing desk... who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been away from the desk so to speak so long I've forgotten I am a writer. Work has been so frantically busy and exhausting I have no emotional energy left for writing.

    But it is reminding me that I need to stay close to God and allow him to be my strength. I am moving to a new department at work in the next few weeks and hopefully this will give more energy as it has a much less stressful department. Maybe then I will find my way back to the writing desk... who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, Clare. Lately life has interrupted my writing plans as well - more than interrupted, it completely overwhelmed me - but I start to think that a little light has crept in again and I am trying to find some balance. I think you're very wise to savour the walks, the baking, the listening, the garden. I need to do just that instead of rushing and resenting what can't be done. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment