Inspiration why are you so elusive? By Claire Musters


I have recently had a bout of writer's block. It doesn't happen to me that often, and I found it particularly alarming as I had a looming deadline. I spent days researching, but nothing was grabbing my attention. I just couldn't reach that place of knowing what I was meant to be writing about; which angle I was to take.

After a few soul-destroying weeks, I decided to sit down and write about my frustration as a means of processing it. It seemed to help, so I thought I'd celebrate that fact by sharing what I wrote during that time. I'm hoping it might resonate - and possibly help others who may be going through difficulties with writing currently.

Inspiration why are you so elusive?

I have looked for you everywhere…

In the shower, where a song of joy and freedom often comes, leading into focus and clarity. But I keep emerging with the same sense of confusion…

In the cleaning – I usually ignore the state of the house until the weekends, but this time my mind has decided that I can’t write in a messy house!

Within social media – surely I need to know what is going on in the world, in order to write in an informed way?

Settling down to research has been difficult, and full of distraction. My chair has ‘hurt’, my eyes have been tired and my mind not happy to concentrate for more than a few moments at a time.

Chocolate has become an even dearer friend. Yes I’ve tried being healthy, in order to aid the process, but fruit just hasn’t hit the spot (unless accompanied by copious amounts of cheese)…


Inspiration, why are you so elusive right now?

Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous young children, pastor’s wife, worship leader and school governor. Claire’s desire is to help others draw closer to God through her writing, which focuses on authenticity, marriage, parenting, worship, discipleship, issues facing women today etc. Her books include Taking your Spiritual Pulse, CWR’s Insight Into Managing Conflict and Insight Into Self-acceptance, Cover to Cover: David A man after God’s own heart and BRF Foundations21 study guides on Prayer and Jesus. She also writes Bible study notes, and her latest co-written book, Insight Into Burnout, was published in February 2017. Her next book, Taking off the mask: learning to live authentically, will be published on 1 November 2017. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com and @CMusters on Twitter.


Comments

  1. As a Grand Master at inventing creative reasons (read excuses) for procrastinating, Claire, I wholeheartedly understand what you are saying. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks - I knew I wasn't alone, but it does help to be told that sometimes! ;) That's one of the joys of being part of a group like this...

      Delete

Post a Comment