Writing as a sacred journey By Claire Musters




I have recently started re-reading Sensible Shoes by Sharon Garlough Brown. Having had it (and the other books in the series) really impact me already, I am excited that our women’s book study group at church is now going through it, as well as the accompanying companion guide.

I was really struck this morning at how we as writers can be so disciplined and focused with our writing tasks but God can use writing to lure us into deeper moments with Him – either through our ‘work’ writing or when we write outside of work.

For example, I’ve been writing another Bible study guide recently, which has been particularly challenging. And yet everything I have been pulling together has spoken to me personally (isn’t that often the way?!)

I have also loved having writing tasks ‘set’ for me by Sharon’s companion guide. While I write in my journal regularly, having a spiritual director suggest I write on certain subjects, and write directly to God about things I haven’t previously, has opened up fresh avenues to me. I particularly liked her specific questions about how I related to the characters in the book, and what my responses to the way they handled circumstances showed me about myself.

Through her questions and suggestions, over the last few months Sharon has got me to think deeply and then write about: my life’s desert wastelands; what I hunger and thirst for; what my secret heartaches are; where God is pruning me; how I feel about discipline; where I have gained my sense of self from over the years; what particular things help me to take notice of my spiritual journey; what encourages me to go deeper and what discourages me. In fact, all of those questions came out of the first chapter of the companion guide!


How about you? Are you inspired to ponder and write about any of the above? And what writing, outside of the parameters of work, aids you in your spiritual walk?

Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous young children, pastor’s wife, worship leader and school governor. Claire’s desire is to help others draw closer to God through her writing, which focuses on authenticity, marriage, parenting, worship, discipleship, issues facing women today etc. Her books include Taking your Spiritual Pulse, CWR’s Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance, Cover to Cover: David A man after God’s own heart, Insight Into Burnout and BRF Foundations21 study guides on Prayer and Jesus. She also writes Bible study notes. She has two books being published in November: Taking off the mask: learning to live authentically, with Authentic Media, and Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, with CWR. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com and @CMusters on Twitter.

Comments

  1. Oh dear, you've made me want to buy yet another book! Sounds amazing! Thanks for telling us about it.
    (My comments seem to get published twice...apologies if this one does!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, you've made me want to buy yet another book! Sounds amazing! Thanks for telling us about it.
    (My comments seem to get published twice...apologies if this one does!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment