The most important book in the world by Lynda Alsford

I can remember going to a 'Kingdom Faith Week' run by Colin Urquhart and Bob Gordon in the 1980s. One evening in the main event, Bob, asked us all a series of questions. I am almost certainly remembering the exact questions incorrectly but it went something like this. 



"Who here thinks the Bible is the most important book in the world?"
Most, if not all, of us put up our hands.

"Who here thinks the Bible is the inspired Word of God?
Again most of us put up our hands.

"Who here has read a book, any book at all, from cover to cover"
By now most of us were beginning to realise where this was going and we all put up our hands.

"Who here has read the whole Bible from cover to cover?"
Only a few of us were able to put up our hands. I couldn't.


"You mean to say, you think the Bible is the most important book in the world. You think it is the inspired Word of God and you haven't read it?"

Scruffy but it was very well used
This short exchange challenged me. I went away and planned to read the Bible all the way through. I wrote out the books of the Bible in the back of my Bible and crossed each one off when I had read it. I wonder now why I didn't simply make a mark by each book in the index as I read it!


But after about 18 months I had read the Bible all the way through. I have done it again since then, twice more, which is not frequently enough given I have been a Christian for 36 years. Most recently, was when I finished reading it through last year, using the New Living Translation. I am not leaving it so long this time.  I am just starting again to read it through in The Message version. 


I find that the more I read the whole Bible all the way through, the better idea I get of the overall picture of The Kingdom of God, who God is and what He has done for us in Jesus. I understand more about how much He loves us and how much He longs for us to be close to Him. 

As writers, most of us love books. We love writing. We love reading. But how much do we love the Word of God? I always have a book or two on the go. I love reading. But so often I read a few verses of the Bible and a few chapters of another book. I want to start making a change in my reading. I want to increase my reading of the Bible. After all, I think it is the powerful Word of God. As it says in Hebrews 4:12 (NLT)

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.


What about you? Have your read the Bible all the way through? Will you join me in reading more of the most important book in the world all the way through?  



Lynda Alsford is a sea loving, cat loving GP administrator and writes in her spare time. She has written two books, He Never Let Go describes her journey through a major crisis of faith whilst working as an evangelist at a lively Church in West London. Being Known describes how God set her free from food addiction. Both books are available in paperback and on kindle on  Amazon.co.uk  and  Amazon.com. She writes a newsletter  and a blog both called Seeking the Healer, in which she shares the spiritual insights she has gained on her journey. Find about about these from www.seekingthehealer.com. You can also find out more about Lynda at  www.lyndaalsford.com




Comments

  1. Thanks for this, Lynda. What a great and humbling reminder. Now, I’m off to grab my bible

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement Wendy. Praying you are blessed by your reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, thank you. Years back in my teens I read the Bible through more than once. Definitely a good thing to do. Haven't done it for a long time. Now I tend to read a short passage rather than a large chunk so that I give myself time to really think about it. When reading larger amounts I know often I would read it just so I could tick it off my check list, rather than read it with the aim of listening to what God had to say to me. I suppose I could go systematically through the Bible without aiming to read it in one year, just read a bit at a time. Wonder how long that would take?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Than you for this. When I was in my teens I read through the Bible in a year a few times. I've not done it since. I read it regularly but usually choose a short passage so I can spend time thinking on it. When I had a set chunk to read to get through the Bible I was often reading it just so I could tick it off my checklist. I believe there are benefits to both approaches to reading the Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you about the two types of reading through the Bible. Last time I read through I replaced my normal pattern of reading a very short passage and spending more time thinking about it with reading large trunks to get through it in a year. This time I’m not putting a time limit on how long it takes me to read it through. And I’m continuing my normal pattern of Bible reading in addition. I don’t want to stop that as I think it is indeed very beneficial.

      Delete

Post a Comment