Making Difficult Decisions by Lynda Alsford

 How do you make difficult decisions? As a Christian it is not just myself and others I need to take into account. I also want to make sure I am doing what God would want me to do.

I have realised recently that I am trying to focus my attention and energy on too many things. Unfortunately that has meant my energy levels have been rather affected. I also have not got any writing done. I wanted to evaluate whether I can make more time for it. I thought I would be better once I stopped being administrator for ACW last autumn but the busyness and tiredness has continued. I find myself having to look through my diary and commitments to see what else I could stop doing. But that is so hard. What do I stop? How do I choose? I hope what I share will assist others in making hard decisions.

The good thing about this is that it is throwing me back onto God again. I am spending time in prayer and simply time being with the Lord, seeking to find out what he wants me to do. What should I give up and what should I keep doing?

Having prayed, and continuing to pray, I imagined what I would say to a friend if she were me. I thought this would help me to look at my life more objectively. I think I would tell someone else to go through all activities and look at them systematically.  

Being a writer at heart I decided to get out my journal and do this on paper. Having made a list of everything I do, I worked through it noting which brought me joy and which dragged me down. Obviously I can't stop everything I don't like - we all have to do things we don't like sometimes but it gave me a starting place.

I then asked myself why I was doing each thing. Some things have to be done - like my job. No job, no money. That is an easy one. Some things I am doing because it is expected of me, and others simply because I really enjoy them – they are life giving.

Other questions I asked myself about each thing on my list were...

  • Who would be affected by my decision? 
  • Is it a permanent decision or temporary one? Can I stop this thing for a season and pick it up later?
  • Is it in line with God’s word?


Some things on my list of activities have already been culled as I get to this point. I stopped going to my book group because although I enjoyed reading and discussing books with others, I no longer had time to read the book club book and read my own choice of book each month.

Others decisions are not so easy, so I am allowing myself time to make these decisions. I am not rushing. I am waiting on God, spending time with him while I decide.

What about you? How do you make difficult decisions? 


Lynda Alsford is a sea loving, cat loving GP administrator and writes in her spare time. She has written two books, He Never Let Go describes her journey through a major crisis of faith whilst working as an evangelist at a lively Church in Chiswick, West London. Being Known describes how God set her free from food addiction. Both books are available in paperback and on kindle on  Amazon.co.uk  and  Amazon.com. She writes a newsletter called Seeking the Healer, in which she shares the spiritual insights she has gained on her journey. When she finally starts her blog, it will also be called Seeking the Healer and you can find out more about both at  www.lyndaalsford.com.

Comments

  1. I'm planning a three month diary analysis with a view to clearing time and headspace to start a new novel in January. Your post was SO helpful! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was helpful and glad I am not the only one having to do it! God bless you as you do your diary analysis, and with your novel writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda, this was very helpful and I'm sure it resonated with most people to some extent. In particular, I found the 3 questions really interesting. I hadn't asked myself those before and it could help in future decision making.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your post, Lynda. Hopefully I can still make a late comment. I'm struggling to do my editing of my latest book with running a house, loads of visitors and days out and a part-time job also. I can imagine how much more difficult it is for you to find time to write when you're working full time. I think we just have to do what we can and not beat ourselves up about it. Time with God is the most important thing. Doing that I'm sure he'll find you a way through even if you have to wait a while to get back to writing, although journaling is also writing. Blessings xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment