Holding fast to your call by Claire Musters


I recently had a decision to make: I was involved in a freelance job I loved, but then the parameters changed – the role I had been doing was no longer going to be available. The choice was: do I apply for the full-time position being offered, or stick to saying that I can only do part-time – even if it takes me out of the running?

Well my heart was saying two different things to me (very annoying when that happens!): I kept trying to work out how I could do a full-time position and still fulfil the other writing work I’ve already said yes to. But I also had a stirring inside that reminded me I feel called to be involved in the other things I do. I didn’t feel I could give them up and ultimately decided that they are part of God’s call on my life.

I therefore applied for the position, but indicated I could only do part-time. I got through to the second interview stage – but then felt I’d done a really bad job of it.

Responding to the outcome

I recently found out that I didn’t get the full-time position: I was told by both people who interviewed me that they could see the other things I’m passionate about, and wouldn’t want to ask me to give them up. My interview answers had actually given them some other ideas of how I could be involved with the company. All of a sudden I was offered some exciting new possibilities (as well as some ongoing involvement with what I had already been doing).

I came away really grateful to God – He had opened the original door in the first place. I had said no (three times) but then felt prompted by Him – and my daughter – to walk through it. But now He wasn’t just closing it – He was opening up some other opportunities that I could see embraced some of the calling on my life that I’m most passionate about. I don’t know all the details yet, but I can see that God’s hand is on my life and so it is a time to simply trust Him with those (hard for someone who likes to know what they are doing!)

Don’t get me wrong – I have also had moments in which I’ve felt I’m grieving a loss. I interviewed Kay Warren recently and actually the comment she made that resonated most with me at the time (but I had no idea how relevant it would become) was about the seasons of life. She described a period in her life when she was doing something she loved – and then right at the height of her involvement in it God asked her to lay it down. She knew it was the right thing to do – but it was painful at the time.

Keep focused


Why have I told you all this? Even though I’ve read Lynda’s piece from yesterday, which has a similar theme? Because I think as writers we need to remind ourselves regularly to stick to our calling – even when it calls for hard decisions, and letting things go (thanks Lynda for your blogs – and your brave decision). We may be swayed by seeing other authors writing on different subjects to us; if we see them being successful perhaps we consider a change of genre. But if you are doing what you do because you feel a stirring from God to do so, can I encourage you to keep focused on that – and keep going!

Claire is a freelance writer, speaker and editor, mum to two gorgeous children, pastor’s wife, worship leader and school governor. She is currently Premier Christianity magazine’s freelance news and features journalist. Claire’s desire is to help others draw closer to God through her writing, which focuses on authenticity, marriage, parenting, worship, discipleship, issues facing women today etc. Her books include Taking off the mask: daring to be the person God created you to be and Cover to Cover: 1–3 John Walking in the truth, Insight Into Managing Conflict, Insight Into Self-acceptance and Insight Into Burnout. She also writes Bible study notes. To find out more about her, please visit www.clairemusters.com and @CMusters on Twitter.

Comments

  1. Claire, thank you for this. Your words, and Lynda's yesterday gave me the encouragement I need to keep going and to trust that God has a hand on everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Claire and very pertinent to my season of life. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Claire. I am wrestling with whether to resign my teaching job so I can pursue the things I'm passionate about, writing included! But it's a scary place to be! Exciting but scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Claire. Despite having written yesterday‘s post I still need to read this one. I was hearing God tell me I needed to lay things down. But what I hadn’t kept hold of was that the reason he tells me to lay things down is that he wants me to hold fast to my calling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great post, Claire, and dare I say, rather counter cultural. Our society tells us we can do it all and have it all, if we just follow the rules. Listening to God will often take you in the opposite direction, but he always has something wonderful waiting for you. What an inspiring and wise piece to wake up to on a snowy Suffolk morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I find out what the call is, I promise to hold fast ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Claire, for a very heartening piece. I also have hard decisions to make regarding work at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exciting, Claire. I can see that God has great things lined up for you. Really enjoyed your share at ACW day in Derby too.About to read your book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment