I'd Like to be a Writer, by Fiona Lloyd


I’d like to be a writer,

And hide myself away in a garret

(Whatever one of those is)

With only a pristine notebook

And a quill-pen for company. 



It sounds so romantic:

So peaceful, yet I suspect –

After the novelty wore off –

I’d be lonely.



I’d like to be a writer:

What is it they say?

“We all have a book inside us.”

Only, they never go on to tell

Exactly how you get it out.



It sounds so inspiring,

Except mine’s deeply buried,

And trying to find it

Might be painful.



I’d like to be a writer,

With shelves full of my words

Dominating every bookstore;

And people would queue up

To acquire my latest tome. 



It sounds so alluring,

But then … those reviews!

Public humiliation

Could destroy me.



I’d like to be a writer:

I’m planning to start, just as soon

As I’ve trimmed down my workload

(Or – better still – retired)

And I have a few hours to spare.



It sounds so idyllic:

Just me and my laptop

And only the internet

To distract me.



I’d like to be a writer:

A weaver of magic, whose words

Set visions and dreams in the mind,

So the reader is lost

In a fantastical world.



It sounds so enticing –

Enough of excuses!

I shall sit in my office

And write.



PS. I’ve loved being part of this blog over the last few years, but feel it’s time to let someone else have a go (and my Diary sequel is feeling neglected!). Thanks to all who’ve encouraged me by reading and commenting on my posts – I’m looking forward to seeing what others have to say in the future.


Fiona Lloyd is vice-chair of the Association of Christian Writers and is married with three grown-up children. Her first novel, The Diary of a (trying to be holy) Mum, was published by Instant Apostle in January 2018. Fiona has also written for Woman Alive, Christian Writer and Together Magazine. She has a passion to encourage others to grow in relationship with God, and to understand that they are loved and accepted. Fiona works part-time as a music teacher and is a member of the worship-leading team at her local church.

 Twitter: @FionaJLloyd & @FionaLloyd16




Comments

  1. This says it exactly, Fiona. Sorry to see you go from the blog - I always enjoy your posts - but enjoy working on the sequel! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fran! Now I shall have to think of another excuse for not getting on with it...

      Delete
  2. Your posts have always been an encouragement to me and I suspect many others. May your other work flower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Fiona - I shall miss your contribution but may your next novel flourish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just hoping it doesn't take me as long as the first one.

      Delete
  4. Love this, Fiona and you have more than achieved what your poet longs to do. Thanks for the share. Yes, all the best with your next novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Fiona, don't go!! Have loved your posts but looking forward to hearing about what you get up to next. Thanks for summing up exactly what it is like to long for writing time, but forget to plan it. Something you, wisely , are not doing! Every blessing with it xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Deborah - I feel a bit torn, but it feels like the right thing to do. And I am hoping that maybe I can resurrect my own blog, which has rather fallen by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only just read this! Very sorry to see you go! Love your posts but so looking forward to Becky Hudson's next adventure! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement! I'm struggling to get going on the sequel, so it seems sensible to cut down on other distractions.

      Delete

Post a Comment